In the Fall of 1972, the Vestry of the Church of St. Mark, under the leadership of their new rector, Father Heron Aloysius Sam, acknowledged in principle, the need for a comprehensive approach to the question of education, and the importance of education at all levels, as a very necessary component of the missionary and liberating thrust of the Gospel in particular, and religion in general.
Four years of planning, praying and advice-seeking were to elapse before the Vestry, in 1976, at their annual retreat, adopted a resolution which set the wheels in motion for an irrevocable progression of events leading ultimately to the establishment of St. Mark's Day School in September, 1977.
The Vestry, as an expression of its earnest intentions and the high priority it had placed on this project, voted to spend what turned out to be $240,000 to provide a suitable home for the school at 1435/37 Union Street. St. Mark's Day School opened its doors at 8:30 a.m. on Monday September 12, 1977, to an enrollment of 90 children, aged 3 to 9 years.
By the summer of 1978, the enrollment increased rapidly to within 500, and it became readily apparent that the needs of parents were being addressed by the Church in this Crown Heights Community
And so, with reckless daring, divine conviction, and an empty bank account, the Church of St. Mark with the help of the people in the community, acquired the Hospital Of St. Giles, a defunct orthopedic facility, at 1346 President Street for $250,000 to become the permanent home of its school, with 1435/37 Union Street becoming the annex.
The decision was made to create an exceptionally organized, well staffed and fully equipped school to serve the community, enrolling children from the Nursery through the twelfth grade, by adding a grade annually together with the necessary equipment and facilities to ensure accreditation.